Frequently Asked Questions

What is a FFL?

A Federal Firearms License (FFL) is a license that enables an individual or a company to engage in a business pertaining to the manufacture of firearms and ammunition or the interstate and intrastate sale of firearms. Holding an FFL to engage in certain such activities has been a legal requirement within the United States of America since the enactment of the Gun Control Act of 1968. FFL holders are commonly gun stores, pawn shops, and retail sporting goods stores. However, there are also many individuals and small companies that hold a FFL. All firearms sold to individuals online must be shipped to a local FFL holder who will then transfer the firearm to you after a background check.

Can you ship a firearm directly to my home or office?

NO.  Firearms can only be shipped to an active and verified FFL holder.

Does a customer have to be a certain age to buy firearms or ammunition from a licensee?

Yes. Under the Gun Control Act, long guns and long gun ammunition may be sold only to persons 18 years of age or older. Sales of handguns and ammunition for handguns are limited to persons 21 years of age and older. Although some State and local ordinances have lower age requirements, dealers are bound by the minimum age requirements established by the Gun Control Act. If State law or local ordinances establish a higher minimum age, the dealer must observe the higher age requirement.

<<Back to Top

Can I buy a firearm from you if I am a resident of another state?

Generally, a firearm may not lawfully be sold by a licensed dealer to a non-licensee who resides in a state other than the state in which the seller’s licensed premises is located. However, the sale may be made if the firearm is shipped to a licensed dealer whose business is in your state of residence and you take delivery of the firearm from the dealer in your state of residence.

I bought a gun out of state and need to have it shipped to me. Do I need a FFL for this?

Yes. Shipments from out of state must be sent to a FFL to complete the transfer.

I have a friend who is selling me a gun; do I need to have a FFL transfer it to me?

No. Unlicensed individuals who reside in the same state can sell firearms to one another, so long as neither is otherwise prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm. There are some rules in place about shipping, so contact us for more information.

Is a Social Security card a proper means of identification for purchasing a firearm from an FFL? 

No. A Social Security card, alien registration card, or military identification alone does not contain sufficient information to identify a firearms purchaser. However, a purchaser may be identified by any combination of government-issued documents which together establish all of the required information: Name, residence address, date of birth, and photograph of the holder.

May a person who resides in one state and owns property in another state purchase a handgun in either state?

If a person maintains a home in 2 states and resides in both states for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular state, purchase a handgun in that state. However, simply owning property in another state does not qualify the person to purchase a handgun in that state.

<<Back to Top

What constitutes residency in a State? 

The State of residence is the State in which an individual is present; the individual also must have an intention of making a home in that State. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located. If a member of the Armed Forces maintains a home in one State and the member’s permanent duty station is in a nearby State to which he or she commutes each day, then the member has two States of residence and may purchase a firearm in either the State where the duty station is located or the State where the home is maintained. An alien who is legally in the United States is considered to be a resident of a State only if the alien is residing in that State and has resided in that State continuously for a period of at least 90 days prior to the date of sale of the firearm.

<<Back to Top

Are there certain persons who cannot legally receive or possess firearms and/or ammunition? 

Yes, a person who —

  1. Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;
  2. Is a fugitive from justice;
  3. Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;
  4. Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution;
  5. Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;
  6. Has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
  7. Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;
  8. Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner; or
  9. Has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
  10. Cannot lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm.

A person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year cannot lawfully receive a firearm.

Such person may continue to lawfully possess firearms obtained prior to the indictment or information.

Is there a specific license which permits a collector to acquire firearms in interstate commerce? 

No. A dealer’s license (FFL) must be obtained to engage in the business of dealing in any firearms, including curios or relics.

Can you find a gun for me if I already know what I want?

Yes.  Just fill out our Firearm Sales Inquiry Form, and we will assist you with your purchase.